Hereafter are my rules, meaning the things that I try to do on a daily basis. I am a bit obsessed with my health, it's true. However I aim at not being perfect.
These things have a profound effect on my mood, sleep and energy level.
- Going to bed at the right time. For me, the ideal window is between 9.30 PM and 10.30 PM.
- Sleeping in a dark room. I turn off the lights to be in complete dark room. I have a sleeping mask and I wear it in the morning when I need some extra sleep ( between 6 and 9 AM)
- Sleeping enough. I need 8 hours.
- Sleeping without being hungry. I never sleep on a empty stomach. That would trigger insomnia on top of the symptoms listed above.
- Not lying down right after a meal. I try to finish my meal at least one hour before going to bed. If I eat after 8.30 PM, I will have a meal super digestible (a medium sized portion of meat or fish, and mainly well-cooked non starchy and cruciferous veggies with moderate amounts of good fats, that's it)
- Avoiding bright lights and screens when the sun goes down. I turn off my computer and iphone at 7 PM. From 7 PM, I allow myself to listen to podcasts or to read a book.
- Going outside at least for 30 minutes per day and exposing my eyes to bright light in the middle of the day.
- Not wearing my sun-glasses all the time and aiming at going outside at least 20 minutes per day.
Food impacts my physical and emotional states. Then, I am constantly listening to my body. It is not an obsession. It is just like listening to my closest friend. I do my best to be helpful if they need me. Being watchful allows me to tweak my diet accordingly.
I don't eat any grain, legume and dairy (guee only for now). I noticed that I don't digest onions and pears, even cooked. I am not doing well with almonds, even soaked. I can only tolerate small amounts of coconut cream, probably because it is a FODMAP.A what? Check this out: http://www.helphub.com.au/carbs-that-may-cause-problems-fodmaps-2
I can not eat more than 3 squares of raw cacao without having an itchy throat, and I should not have them after 3 PM, otherwise I will not sleep (cafeine).
I can only eat stewed bananas and apples. If I eat them raw, I am very bloated and my bowel movements are disturbed.
I do really well with fish, meat, egg yolks and cooked veggies, luckily! Bone broth, fatty fish and liver (from healthy pastured animals) are my superfoods, and I have them almost daily.
At the moment, I try to walk 45 minutes, 3 times per week, in the fresh air. I do some resistance training one to twice a week, without exhausting myself. I use my body weight and light dumbbells (3 kg maximum).
I use a foam roller pretty often to relax my whole body. Have you read my post? http://www.helphub.com.au/get-well-with-the-magic-of-foam-rollers
If you have adrenal fatigue or a chronic condition, make sure you do not stress your body. Exercise is a stressor. It should be done appropriately, in order not to trigger any extra fatigue or inflammation. Read this article: http://chriskresser.com/why-you-may-need-to-exercise-less